Thursday, June 20, 2013

"Let's Explore Diabetes with Owls" by David Sedaris



Synopsis:  This is David Sedaris' latest book, a mixture of fiction and personal essays.  Here, Sedaris recounts the time he purchased a taxidermied owl for his partner, how he keeps a detailed diary of even the most mundane topics, his family quirks, including his father's affinity for Donny Osmond, and much more.
Review:  This book was okay, but definitely not great.  I like Sedaris' personal essays more than I enjoy his fiction and this book had too many fiction short stories for my taste.  I think that David Sedaris has begun to run out of material, which is understandable.  I wouldn't have enough interesting stories from my life for even a handful of essays and Sedaris has written several books, just about the kooky stuff that happens to him.  He is an excellent storyteller and I do enjoy his books, but this one was lackluster and almost redundant.

No comments:

Post a Comment